Last month, a Sherman Oaks man was arrested in connection with a hit-and-run crash that killed a man in Van Nuys. The 60-year-old was arrested after fleeing the scene of the accident. He was followed by a witness to the crash and was finally taken into custody after crashing into several parked cars just north of the fatal crash.
While we know that both DUI and hit-and-run cases are common, we wanted to bring you this story because it highlights something that many people do not think about – DUI cases can be wrongful death cases.
Yes, there are criminal cases involved with DUIs, but those do little to help the families of victims with their expenses related to death.
Do you know what to do if someone you love is killed in an accident that was caused by someone else’s negligence?
If you need a wrongful death attorney in California, you can turn to Licata & Yeremenko, A Professional Law Corporation for help.
What Can Happen?
Wrongful death cases arise with someone is killed as a result of negligence or a wrongful act of another person or entity. These are civil cases and can take place whether or not there is a criminal case involved in the death. These lawsuits can be brought by the family members of the deceased.
Let’s look at some of the common ways wrongful death cases show up:
- Violence: This can include criminal acts that result in death such as shootings, domestic violence, bar fights, etc.
- Vehicle Accidents: Like the case above, DUI cases commonly result in wrongful death lawsuits. This can also happen in cases of distracted driving or other negligent driver behavior.
- Defective Products: Product liability cases often run concurrently with wrongful death cases. There are thousands of products currently under recall in the US.
- Workplace Accidents: Often, companies do not do enough to keep their employees safe. This can include a lack of safety training or a failure to provide proper safety equipment.
- Medical Mistakes: This can include surgical errors, misdiagnosis, medication errors, failure to treat, and more.
We know that your case may involve different circumstances. If you are unsure of whether or not your case involves wrongful death, please seek out an experienced attorney.
What Are Your Options?
If you are here today suffering from the loss of a loved one, we know you have any questions. At Licata & Yeremenko, A Professional Law Corporation, we want to help you find answers. If someone else’s negligence has caused the death of your loved one, you need a strong legal team by your side. We will work with you to investigate your case and get you the compensation you need. We know that no amount of money will stop the pain of losing a loved one, but it can help you gain closure. When you need a California wrongful death attorney, you can reach out to us on our website by clicking here, or calling us at 818-783-5757.