Have Your Civil Rights Been Violated?
Your civil rights cannot be infringed upon by your employer, a government agency, or any other institution. The Civil Rights Act and various other federal and state laws guarantee all citizens have equal protection, regardless of their race, creed, gender, age, sexuality, and other protected characteristics.
At Licata & Yeremenko, our team has the resources necessary to investigate civil rights violation claims and seek justice for the infringement on your rights.
California Civil Rights Violations Attorneys
Discrimination is illegal. In some cases, discrimination comes in a subtle form, such as the denial of a mortgage application to a person of color. In other cases, discrimination can be more blatant, such as the refusal of a store to serve an LGBTQ+ couple. At Licata & Yeremenko, our qualified team of civil rights attorneys in California have experience helping clients who have faced civil rights discrimination based on their:
- Gender or gender identity
- Ethnic or national origin
- Sexual orientation
- Disability or illness
- Marital status
Violations of civil rights in California can occur in a variety of areas. This could include:
- Housing, commonly resulting in the denial of a mortgage or lease based on their race
- Banking and loans, including a person being denied a loan or a transaction based on their appearance
- Public accommodations, including being denied access to public swimming pools, buses, etc. due to a health condition or disability
- Right to service, such as being refused service in a restaurant or store due to national origin, sexuality, etc.
- Employment, including the mistreatment or termination of a person based on their protected status
- Law enforcement encounters, including the adverse treatment of a person by police due to the color of their skin
Compensation That Might Be Possible
If you believe that your civil rights have been violated by an employer, government organization, or another institution, contact an attorney for help with your case today. At Licata & Yeremenko, our team has extensive experience handling complex civil rights violation cases, and we are not afraid to take on aggressive employers or government agencies. Clients may be entitled to various types of compensation for what has happened to them, including:
- Compensation for medical bills caused by physical injuries
- Pain and suffering damages
- Coverage of any necessary counseling
- Reinstatement to a job, wage increase, or promotion (if applicable)
- Possible punitive damages against the party responsible for the civil rights violation
The total amount of compensation awarded in these cases will vary depending on the facts related to each particular situation.