Our Attorneys Fight Elder Abuse
The elderly in this country deserve nothing but respect and dignity. Unfortunately, there are times when caretakers or assisted living facility staff needlessly abuse or neglect those under their care.
At Licata & Yeremenko, our attorneys have the resources necessary to conduct a complete investigation into elder abuse cases. Our goal is to ensure that victims receive the justice and compensation they are entitled to.
Types Of Elder Abuse That Occur In California
The reality is that there are many types of elder abuse that can occur, and friends and family be vigilant and remain on the lookout for signs and symptoms of abuse. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), we know that some of the main types of abuse that can occur in both the in-home and assisted living facility settings include the following:
- Physical elder abuse: This includes any type of intentional infliction of pain or injury on an elderly person.
- Sexual elder abuse: This includes any type of non-consensual sexual activity with an elderly person, including intercourse, oral copulation, inappropriate touching, anal penetration, etc.
- Emotional elder abuse: This includes any type of verbal assault, harassment, threats of abuse, or intimidation tactic.
- Financial elder abuse: This includes misusing the assets of an elderly person or intentionally and wrongfully withholding funds from an elderly person.
- Neglect: This refers to the willful deprivation of the basic necessities an elderly person needs. This can include withholding food, medical care, prescription medications, shelter needs, physical and exercise needs, etc.
Unfortunately, elder abuse is not uncommon. According to data available from the National Council on Aging, we can see that one out of every ten people over the age of 60 will experience some form of elder abuse each year in the United States.
Who Are The Perpetrators Of Elder Abuse?
There is no one demographic that makes up the perpetrators of elder abuse in California. When our attorneys conduct investigations into these incidents, they often discover that the perpetrators of this abuse include the following:
- Family members
- In-home caregivers
- Employees at assisted living facilities
- Employees at hospitals or other types of medical facilities
Call Our California Elder Abuse Attorney Today
If you discover that your elderly loved one has been the victim of any type of abuse at the hands of caretakers, turn to the team at Licata & Yeremenko for help today. Our attorneys have extensive experience handling complex elder abuse cases throughout California, including Los Angeles County, Orange County, Ventura County, Riverside County and San Bernardino County areas. Our goal is to help ensure that your loved one receives the closure and compensation they deserve, which can include:
- Coverage of any medical bills that arise due to the abuse
- Compensation for relocation to a new facility
- The cost of care at the current facility
- Loss of quality of life damages
- Pain and suffering damages
- Possible punitive damages against a caretaker or assisted living facility