Don’t Tolerate Workplace Discrimination Based On National Origin
Have you experienced negative treatment at your California workplace because of prejudices against the country or region where you or your ancestors were born? You have likely been the target of discrimination based on your national origin.
Like racial discrimination, national origin discrimination is illegal according to both federal and state laws in California. At Licata & Yeremenko, our employment law attorneys stand up to protect the rights of our clients who have been fired, demoted or harassed at work because of where they or their ancestors are from.
We urge you to contact us in Sherman Oaks to discuss your potential discrimination claim against your employer or personnel in the workplace. Since 2000, we have developed a reputation for fighting for what’s right for people from all walks of life.
Learn About National Origin Discrimination
Laws that protect people from national origin discrimination include:
- Title VII of the federal Civil Rights Act of 1964
- California’s Fair Employment and Housing Act, first passed in 1959
- Extensive new regulations added to FEHA in 2018, protecting California’s workers in more detail from national origin discrimination
Examples of prohibited national origin discrimination in California workplaces include:
- Certain types of language restrictions in the workplace
- Inquiries about immigration status
- Height and weight restrictions in certain cases
- Perceived characteristics – including workers’ names — deemed to be typical of specific national origin groups
- Discrimination based on a worker’s marriage to someone from another country or association with people from national origin groups
- Harassment about tribal affiliation
- Harmful treatment for a worker’s association with an organization that promotes the interests of a national origin group
- Harassment on the basis of a worker’s belonging to a national origin group or on the basis of perceived national origin, whether accurate or not
The 2018 regulations in California specify that national origin discrimination may include damaging treatment on the basis of someone’s ethnic identity, such as Kurdish or Acadian, even if people with that background never had their own country.
Take Action If You Have Been Targeted
If an employer declined to hire you because of your national origin, or you were demoted, terminated or treated disparagingly for this reason, get legal counsel. We look forward to developing a strategy for protecting your rights. If you have lost income or suffered health problems as a result of this treatment, we can help you file a lawsuit to recover compensation.
To schedule a consultation about your potential national origin discrimination case, call us in Sherman Oaks at 818-783-5757 or send a message. We provide Spanish and Russian bilingual services as needed.