If you have any children in your family, then you are probably scrambling to make sure you get their presents in time for the holidays. While you may be working to find the latest and hottest new toy for them, you need to keep in mind that many toys on the market end up being defective and causing harm to children. At Licata & Yeremenko, A Professional Law Corporation, our California product liability lawyers want to discuss toy safety in the US.
Toys Can Pose A Serious Threat To Kids
As parents or guardians, you should not have to worry about your child being harmed by a toy that is age-appropriate. Toys in the US should meet safety standards set forth by regulators. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. While stronger safety standards have reduced the number of dangerous toys on the market, the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) still reports that hundreds of thousands of children go to the hospital each year for toy-related injuries.
Aside from recalls that we know about, there are certain popular items that parents should be cautious of this year.
- Toys with sound: If a toy is too loud for you, then it is likely loud enough to damage a child’s hearing. You can turn off the sound or remove the batteries from the toy.
- Slime: Slimes are popular with kids, but they could contain high levels of boron. Look for safer alternatives such as borax and always monitor your kids when they are using slime.
- Fidget spinners: Fidget spinners are often not classified as toys so they can avoid certain safety regulations.
- Toys with small parts: Toys made for kids over six years of age may have parts small enough to present choking hazards to younger kids. Check all toys for small parts.
- Hatching toys: These toys are popular, but the break-away packaging can be a choking hazard for kids.
- Balloons: No child under the age of three should play with balloons, and parents should monitor children under the age of eight with balloon toys.
- Smart toys: Technology in smart devices and toys can present dangerous information about your kids to hackers.
- Makeup: Over the last year, some popular makeup sets have been found to contain asbestos, a cancer-causing carcinogen in humans. You should consider using makeup products for kids that do not contain talc.
- Toys with small magnets: Small magnets can cause serious internal injuries in children and be choking hazards.
- Toy jewelry: Some toy jewelry has been found to contain cadmium, a toxic metal used as a substitute for precious metals in inexpensive and toy jewelry.
What You Can Do Moving Forward
If a child in your family has been harmed due to the use or consumption of a defective product, you need to seek legal assistance as soon as possible. At Licata & Yeremenko, A Professional Law Corporation, our knowledgeable and experienced team is ready to investigate what happened and secure the compensation you deserve. This could include:
- The cost of your current and future medical bills
- Mental anguish damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Punitive damages against a company or manufacturer
When you need a California product liability attorney, you can reach out to us on our website by clicking here or calling us at 818-783-5757.